Institut National d’Hygiène Togo
Director: Dr Abiba Kere Banla
Tel :(+228) 22 21 06 33
(+228) 22 21 57 92
The Institut National d’Hygiène (INH) of Togo is the Public Health Laboratory of the Ministry of Health. It is a technical department specialized in medical analysis, in quality control of water and food as well as in vaccination. Fruit of the cooperation between Togo and Germany, INH was created in 1967. It was managed by a team of German biologists from 1967 to 1976. In 1976, INH was joined to the Laboratories Division of the Ministry of Health and considered as «The Central Laboratory of Public Health.» In 1998, it became the National reference
laboratory for surveillance of outbreak-prone diseases.
All the services of INH are provided with a quality approach according to international standards.
INH has two (2) Applied Hygiene laboratories and six (6) medical biology laboratories including three dedicated to the Surveillance of outbreak-prone diseases. It is also the national center of vaccination and certification of vaccinations for travelers.
The food microbiology laboratory and hematology laboratory of INH are accredited by the Comité Français d’Accréditation (COFRAC) respectively with ISO 17025 and ISO 15189 standards within defined parameters.
- Medical analyses (6 laboratories)
- Analyses for the water and food quality control
- Prevention of diseases by vaccination
- Practical supervision of students in health science for internships in laboratories and research work
- Surveillance of outbreak-prone diseases in collaboration with the Epidemiology Division and with the support of partners
- Operational research
Our key missions
1. Water and Foodstuffs Control
The microbiological control of water and foodstuffs i s on e o f t he ke y m is s io ns of I N H. Th es e microbiological analysis are carried out in two laboratories: food microbiology laboratory and water physical chemistry laboratory . The objective of the health authorities is not only to provide a f ra me w or k f or c o un tr i es to p r ev en t f oo d toxinfection, but also to offer expertise for the development of food industry in Togo. The analysis focus on drinking water (bottled or sachet), on wells and drilling water, as well as on all other kinds of g oo ds an d f oo ds t uf fs in t en de d f or hu ma n consumption.
In 2002, food microbiology laboratory committed itself to a quality management. This led to its accreditation in 2012, according to ISO 17025 by the Comité Français d’Accreditation (COFRAC). This accreditation gives a guarantee of an international recognition of the laboratory’s results.
Moreover, the food microbiology laboratory of INH conducts public health microbiological investigations in collaboration with development partners.
2. Practical Training of Interns
One of the missions of the National Institute of Hygiene (INH) is to offer internship to health science students for their practical training. For several years now, both national and international students have been doing their practical experiments in the various laboratories of the INH. These training courses enable students to become familiar with field work.
Every year, INH hosts about one thousand students from various specialties either for introductory training courses or internships.
During their internship, INH management takes the necessary measures to offer them the best learning conditions. The interns participate in laboratory routines activities where they are assigned under the s up er v is i on o f biologists, supervisors and laboratory technicians. Biologists from INH supervise or co - supervise long lists of students fr om the School o f Applied Biological Techniques ( ES TB A ) o f the University of Lomé.
3. Surveillance of outbreak-prone diseases
The Institut National d’Hygiène is the National Laboratory of Reference «NLR» for outbreak-prone diseases. This status is formally assigned to INH by the decree No 044/98 / CAB of October 22, 1998. For many years, INH has been participating in early detection and effective fight against outbreak-prone diseases. INH serves as a reference in Togo in terms of confirming the results of tests conducted both in intermediary and peripheral laboratories.
Three (3) laboratories at INH are dedicated to this mission of surveillance of Potentially Epidemic Diseases: They include the Bacteriology Laboratory which confirms cases of cholera and meningitis; the Microbial Serology Laboratory which helps detect cases of yellow fever, measles and rubella and Molecular Biology Laboratory which is involved in the biological confirmation of the diagnosis of flu and Buruli Ulcer and leprosy.
Furthermore, in accordance with the requirement of The International Health Regulations (IHR), INH participates in collaboration with the Department of Sanitation and Hygiene and in the presence of the focal point of IHR at the Gnassingbé Eyadéma International Airport of Lomé. This control aims at preventing diseases transmitted by air traffic.
The prevention of preventable diseases by vaccination is also an aspect of this control. Among the diseases, we have the yell ow fever who s e v a cc in e i s a requirement of IHR. Thus, INH being the national institution entitled to give certification to vaccinations; its mission is to control the credibility of travelers’ vaccination documents, to check the validity of the vaccination against yellow fever and to give the necessary guidance to t he travelers as far as the authorized vaccination center is concerned.
- Analysis of various samples (blood, feces, urine, genital discharge, pus, skin,) carried out in specialized laboratories: bacteriology, parasitology, serology, hematology.
- Microbiological analysis of food (fish, meat, cooked dishes ...)
- Microbiological and physic-chemical analysis of water (sold well water, spring water ...)
- Vaccination against yellow fever, meningitis, hepatitis B, etc ... and issuance of vaccination cards to travelers
- Health control at Lomé International Airport
- Practical training of laboratory staff
- Supervision of research works students in year Master
- Voluntary counseling and testing for HIV
- Weekly sessions of information, education and communication on health
Practical training of laboratory staff
- French Cooperation
- Institut Pasteur of Dakar
- Institut Pasteur of Abidjan
- National Health Laboratory Service de Johanesbourg
- NOGUCHI and KCCR in Ghana
- Quality Programme of WAMU/UEMOA
- University of Lomé
- Fishing Department
- Animal Breeding Department
- Ministry of Water, Decontamination and Hydraulic
- Red Cross
- Health Service of the Army
Services Working with the Ministry of Health
- Epidemiology Division
- National Programme against AIDS
- National Centre for Blood Transfusion
- University Hospital of Tokoin
- University Hospital of Campus
- University Hospital of Kara
- Contamination and Public Health Division
- Regional Departments of Health
- Health Districts
INH-Togo website: www.inhtogo.tg