Ethiopia National Public Health Institute
Tel: 011 2 13 34 99
Patriot Street P.O. Box 1242
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Amha Kebede – Director
Connect with Ethiopian Health & Nutrition Research Institute:
In 2014, the Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI) was established. EPHI’s work builds upon the strong foundation of the Ethiopian Health and Nutrition Research Institute (EHNRI) which opened in 1996 with the goal of using health research to inform national health policy. Valid health information is crucial as the basis for effective decisions to improve health and general well-being of the population, and the government is committed to improve and develop health-related research activities in the country. EPHI’s expanded operations include its enhanced role in health research based on the priority health and nutrition problems identified in the national public health research agenda.
Research priorities and health intervention programs include:
- Control of communicable diseases, epidemics, and disease related to malnutrition and poor living conditions
- Development of traditional medicine including related research and its integration into modern medicine
- Applied health research addressing major health problems
- Strengthening research capacities of national institutions and scientists in collaboration with responsible agencies
EPHI works to implement the government’s vision to:
- Establish systems to support and encourage applied and basic science and research.
- Formulate mechanisms for speedy dissemination and application of research and development results.
- Establish conducive working environment and appropriate career and promotion structure for scientists and researchers.
- Encourage and support participation of Ethiopian scientists and researchers in national, regional and international conferences, seminars, symposium and workshops.
Based on the prevalence of health and nutrition problems and by taking public needs into considerations, the Institute had been setting priority strategies to address the public demands. Currently the Institute is focusing on disease research and strengthening the national public health laboratory services in the country.
- Ethiopian Health and Nutrition Research Institute: A Five Year, Balanced Score Card Based Strategic Plan (2010-2015 G.C)
- Ethiopian Public Health Institute Legislation
- Ethiopia’s EPHI to Receive $49 Million New Campus
- Ethiopia’s EPHI Showcases Ebola Prevention Measures
- Develop Core Functions to Expand from Research Institute to NPHI
- NPHI Case Study: Profile of Creation and Growth
- New NPHIs Spotlight: Ethiopia, Guatemala, and Slovenia, and Somalia
- Influenza Surveillance in Ethiopia
- EPHI: From Research Institute to NPHI
- Tsehaynesh Messele
- Long-Term Projects
- Amha Kebede
- Organizational Chart